Up your appetizer spread for the big game with bite-size lobster mac & cheese. This crowd-favorite dish includes succulent lobster nestled in a three-cheese sauce topped off with crunchy Panko bread crumbs. Bake in a mini muffin tin for bite-size options or individual ramekins for a larger serving size. Trust us - your guests will thank you!
Makes 48 mini bites or 16 individual ramekins
Time: 20 minutes prep, 30 minutes cooking, 50 minutes total
For the lobster:
- 1 Alaskan King Crab Co. Lobster Tail
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Mr. Stick’s Original Lemon and Garlic Seafood Seasoning
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
For the mac & cheese:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature—cut into about 8 pieces
- 6 ounces freshly shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Broil the lobster— Preheat oven to broil. Use your AKC Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears to cut away the shell from the underside of the lobster tail down to the tip. Place lobster, shell side down, in a rimmed baking pan. Brush lobster meat with butter and sprinkle with Mr. Stick’s Seafood Seasoning. Broil on upper-middle rack until meat is opaque and white, about 10 minutes. Err on the side of undercooked as lobster will spend more time in the oven, and you don’t want to dry it out. Set lobster tail aside to cool. Then remove meat from the shell and cut it into small chunks.
- Meanwhile, make the topping—In a small bowl, stir together melted butter with Panko crumbs. Set aside.
- Prepare to cook—Lower oven temperature to 350°F. Generously grease mini muffin tins with butter. Fill a large pot with about 4 quarts of water, add a generous amount of salt (about 1 tablespoon), and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil the macaroni—Add macaroni to boiling water and cook just under al dente—about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Start the sauce—Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper when butter is bubbly and whisk into a smooth paste. When the paste is light brown with a nutty aroma, slowly whisk in milk. Simmer, frequently whisking, until thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Add the cheese—Add cream cheese pieces and stir until melted. Reduce heat to low and add medium cheddar, sharp cheddar, and nutmeg. Continue stirring till all cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the mac & cheese—Add macaroni and lobster and stir well until everything’s evenly combined. Scoop mac & cheese into prepared muffin tins or ramekins and sprinkle with Panko crumbs.
- Bake the mac & cheese—Bake in preheated oven until cheese sauce is bubbly and Panko is golden brown—about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in for a couple of minutes to firm up. Transfer to a serving platter and enjoy piping hot.