Baked Mac and Cheese with Auntie Nono's
This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite, loved by both kids and adults. It’s a universal comfort food and is guaranteed to be a top contender for the most popular dish at your family gathering. This recipe is everything you want in your Macaroni Cheese – cheesy, creamy, with perfectly cooked macaroni, plenty of sauce, and a crunchy, buttery top (essential!) The best part? Creamy mac and cheese pairs perfectly with seafood of any kind. Enjoy!
- For the macaroni – 1lb elbow macaroni noodles, kosher salt, unsalted butter
- For the cheese sauce – 4 tbsp unsalted butter, 4 tbsp all-purpose flour, 2 tsp Auntie Nono's Everything Seasoning, 3 cups of milk, 4 cups fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese, 2 cups fresh shredded Gruyere cheese
- For the topping – ½ cup breadcrumbs, 4 tbsp melted unsalted butter, ¼ tsp Auntie Nono's Everything Seasoning
- Prep – Combine shredded cheeses in a bowl, lightly grease your baking dish and preheat the oven to 350º F. We recommend a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook pasta – Bring salted water to a boil and cook your pasta according to box instructions until slightly al-dente. Drain, rinse well with cold water and set aside.
- Make the sauce – Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour and Auntie Nono's Everything Seasoning. Continue stirring until the roux turns pale brown and bubbles. Slowly whisk in the milk, one cup at a time, making sure the milk is fully incorporated. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened. Add 2 cups of your freshly grated cheese and stir until it's melted. Add your drained pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Prep for baking – Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining two cups of shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
- Add the topping – In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, melted butter and Auntie Nono's Everything Seasoning. Sprinkle the mixture on the top and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Freshly shred your cheese! Pre-shredded cheese is coated and does not melt properly. Trust us on this one!
- When cooking your pasta slightly less than al-dente, we usually subtract one minute from the cooking time on the box. Since we're also baking the mac and cheese, we don't want the noodles to be overcooked.